Anti Women Harassment Cell
Anti Women Harassment cell of G.L. CHOUDHURY College was constituted in the college on …./…./2014.The Committee consists of members of the faculty, administration, service staff and students’ representatives. The members of the committee for the academic year 2014-2015 are as follows
– Principal –
what is Sexual Harassment?
According to the Supreme Court order, sexual harassment if any, is unwelcome:
- Physical contact and advances
- Demand or request for sexual favours
- Sexually coloured remarks
- Display of pornography
- Any other unwelcome physical, verbal and non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature.
- Basically it is any unwelcome words or actions of sexual nature.
- Denial of payment or official approval in the absence of sexual favours
- Pornographic pictures/messages displayed on desks or sent by email
- Remarks made about personal appearance and dress
- Coloured jokes shared in the office that make others feel uncomfortable
Eve-teasing, unsavory remarks, jokes causing or likely to cause awkwardness or embarrassment, Innuendos and taunts, Gender based insults or sexist remarks, Unwelcome sexual overtone in any manner such as over telephone (obnoxious telephone calls) and the like, Touching or brushing against any part of the body and the like, Displaying pornographic or other offensive or derogatory pictures, cartoons, pamphlets or sayings, Forcible physical touch or molestation and Physical confinement against one’s will and any other act likely to violate one’s privacy.
PURPOSE AND FUNCTION
To facilitate a gender-sensitive and congenial working environment at G.L. CHOUDHURY so that women at work place are not subjected to gender specific discrimination or sexual harassment.
WHAT CONSTITUTES HARASSMENT ?
Any unwelcome sexually determined behaviour (physical, verbal or any other form) which violates a woman’s dignity and interferes with her ability to operate freely at work (or on campus). Harassment would also include gender based discriminatory behaviour.
WHO CAN APPROACH THE CELL ?
Any female student/Faculty of G.L. CHOUDHURY COLLEGE
HOW TO LODGE A COMPLAINT ?
The person concerned can personally approach/ telephone/ write/ e-mail any member of the Cell. The name of the complainant will be kept CONFIDENTIAL.
Functions of the Cell
The office of the Cell is an educational resource as well as a complaint centre for the members of the faculty, staff and students of the University. Its mandate is
- To provide a neutral, confidential and supportive environment for members of the campus community who may have been sexually harassed.
- To advise complainants of the informal and formal means of resolution as specified by the Cell.
- To ensure the fair and timely resolution of sexual harassment complaints.
- To provide information regarding counselling and support services on our campus.
- To ensure that students, faculty and staff are provided with current and comprehensive materials on sexual harassment and assault.
- To promote awareness about sexual harassment through educational initiatives that encourage and foster a respectful and safe campus environment.
Active participation in women-centered issues
The objectives of the Committee are:
Prevent discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by promoting gender amity among students and employees; Make recommendations to the Director for changes/elaborations in the Rules for students in the Prospectus and the Bye-Laws, to make them gender just and to lay down procedures for the prohibition, resolution, settlement and prosecution of acts of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, by the students and the employees;
Deal with cases of discrimination and sexual harassment against women, in a time bound manner, aiming at ensuring support services to the victimized and termination of the harassment;